Tuesday, February 11, 2003

I think I really quite like the show Miracles. Sure, it's just the old formula played out for a tv audience. Indeed it's a bit simplistic. But that's how I like my horror. Corny writing, obvious use of the light and dark metaphor, and the occasional loud noise that makes you jump. I like how they ripped off the face directly from the Exorcist. I like how their human characters seem, well, mostly human. To be fair, it reminds me of a rather softer Anne Rice novel. Speaking of which, the only Anne Rice novel I ever really loved was the rather unmiraculous Feast of All Saints.

I went to sleep early last night. Like at 11:30 or so. I woke up at my usual nine. Nine and a half hours of sleep on a school night is ridiculous. I have insane energy today. Not that that makes me feel like going to school any more than usual. It's so damn cold out.

I went to the library last night. Got a book on the Canon of Scripture, which I think I already regret, since I've invested over 100 pages worth of reading in it and it seems to have a strong Protestant bias. Perhaps not so much that it totally obscures the issue. But the bias is enough to be distracting. I also got a book on the History of the Gnostics, which I'm finding unenlightening so far, because it seems that my History of Christianity professor must've had the text and based half her lecture on it, so it's mostly review so far. I think it's cute though, how the author slams Irenaeus and Tertullian for being "mindlessly" anti-Gnostic. I guess you get what you give, though Irenaeus and Tertullian are massively more influential than Professor What's-His-Name who wrote this book. I also have a book of Gnostic scripture. Now, the readings I did of Gnostic scripture in Christianity class were godawful. But I've heard so many people say that such "speaks to them" that I think I must have accidentally read the least charismatic and most unappealing bits. Also, there's no such thing as a forced pleasant read. So I'm going to give it a go. I had a book of "Lost Books of the Bible" when I was about fourteen that proved oddly influential in my religious development. I recognize that most of those texts were likely Gnostic, now. I'd like to read them again to put them in better perspective.

Though this may be somewhat self-evident, vitamin C drops and orange juice taste really good together.

Bah, I don't want to go to school today. I don't know why the day after Biology exams is always so hard. Must get ready, really must. Must. ::weeps and kicks things:: I don't want to! Must go, must go.