Friday, March 07, 2003

So, tonight Mike and I went to Goodwill because we were bored. There's only one thing I would ever really buy at Goodwill, and that's books. And I did buy books. I bought Flannery O'Connor's Everything That Rises Must Converge, Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, another copy of The Communist Manifesto, and Jean Paul Sartre's seven pound classic Being and Nothingness. I felt like a snob when I went up to pay and the lady's all: "Do you have any coupons or discounts?" And I was thinking: "For my one dollar purchase? Umm, no, not really." But I felt like even more of a snob as Mike and I were sorting through the hat pile, and he was like "I don't want to touch them! My hands are tingling!" and I had to agree, mine were too. And then I found a hat I liked and I said: "We should buy this hat...and wash it!" I can't be too snobby though. Cause I think I remember, when I was little, going to Goodwill and getting toys and things. God, I remember the first twinges of snobbiness I ever had came from my mother making me go to Odd Lots when I was in like sixth grade. I was terrified someone would see me there and think I was poor. I don't know completely why it bothered me so damn much. I don't get self-conscious going to cheap stores now. I'm a college student, we're supposed to be poor. I guess I just didn't need another thing to get made fun of over. Sixth grade i hell. The only thing worse than sixth grade, is seventh grade. I don't even care to speak of the horror that was seventh grade.

Anyway, I wonder if the government will come after me for owning multiple copies of The Communist Manifesto. I own the Catcher in the Rye too. I'm probably on their possible terror suspects list. Which is just great, considering how awful my passport picture is. Indeed, it is the Face of Terror. I think it was funny to see The Communist Manifesto in Goodwill. I mean, perhaps it was just coincidence. But maybe somebody planted it. Those Commies are all about riling up the lower classes you know. Of course, having grown up rather lower class, I can honestly say that I don't know many people of the lower classes who bother reading. And those who do read, prefer, as my niece once explained to me, "stories with a story."

Anyway, good times tonight. It was nice to get out of the house, for the purpose having fun, for once. Seems I do an awful lot of staying home these days. Not that it's anybody's fault but my own. I'm just so damn lazy. People call and want to do things, and I nearly always just want to take a nap. It makes me laugh to think that, in high school, I don't think a single weekend ever passed that I wasn't out doing something with somebody.

Projects for The Weekend: Research Backpacks; Read 1st Book of Samuel; Study for Biology Exam Monday; Work on Webpage; Locate a copy of John Steinbeck's To An Unknown God; Sleep a Lot.