Monday, July 28, 2003

Tonight I watched Gangs of New York and John Q. I liked Gangs of New York, and am grateful that I never have to watch John Q ever again. Not that it was really that atrocious a film; just that it was another reminder of how incredibly shallow liberal rhetoric is.

Admittedly, I’m a bit biased on the American healthcare system. I’ve dealt with it more than most people. And I’ve seen my mother’s operations written off to charity before because doctors really care about chronic cases, even with people who aren’t so poor that they really require charity.

Just because someone’s talking about a serious subject, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they have anything intelligent or meaningful to say. Healthcare is a serious issue; I’m the first to acknowledge that. But films which exert mass effort to take potshots at HMOs, guns and cops during election years are too much akin to junior high bullies which bend over backward to tease the obese wheelchair bound kid with a bladder control problem and a lisp, to make me comfortable. There was really no challenge in a movie like John Q; and yet, somehow, the script writer managed to bungle the whole job.

Gangs of New York was much better. It was awkward sometimes; the dialogue and costumes were a bit campy. And the bloodshed was possibly a little overboard too. But what I really did like about the film, was the very neutral way in which bloodshed was portrayed. Natives oppress; Irish oppress; Natives die; Irish die; nobody’s just a victim, and nobody’s so evil that they’re without weakness. And it makes the argument that I’ve been making for years beautifully for me: the world isn’t getting worse, human beings have always been this lousy.

Anyway, I’m pretty damned exhausted. I don’t seem to be able to focus long enough to write anything much lately. My apologies.