Saturday, April 24, 2004

I've been intending to blog since Tuesday. Literally every day I've started to write something, and by the time I got done, something else has always come up. I wrote a blog about emotions, a blog about C.S. Lewis, a blog about antiamericanism, and the world is no doubt just as rich a place for having missed them.

Nevertheless, today I blog. We're supposed to be going to Mohican State Park today, which is awesome. Mohican days are usually the best days. And maybe we'll go see Kill Bill 2 tonight at the theatre. I don't know if today can possibly trump the joy of the first film though. After all, we won't be in a nearly empty theatre, with only a pair of lesbians to cheer for the chick-who-fights-back figure with us. At least, I rather doubt that we will be. I mean, it's possible but not likely.

Anyway, today looks as if it could be a good day and I feel positive about the whole thing. I slept like a mad woman last night. I was reading about Syria when I fell asleep at like 7:30pm. I got calls all throughout the night, but somehow I managed to go back to sleep within seconds of each one, and I woke up at like 6am this morning. In other words, it's not been a very normal day. But somehow, though ordinarily I loathe mornings, it's been a nice change of pace.

So I went to the doctor yesterday, and nothing of very much importance came out. I have to get bloodwork. And the damn place is so busy that they can't see me again until May 18, nearly a month away. That's sort of annoying. I need a new doctor, that much is certain; not because of the doctor himself, but because the office is just too damn flooded. I mean, I waited for six weeks for this appointment, and now it's another four for the next. Ten weeks to find out what's wrong with you is a bit extreme, methinks.

In any case, I signed my papers for graduation the other day. And it felt surprisingly good. I thought I'd sort of freak out about it, since I have no idea what I want to do with my life still, and graduation is one of those times when you're supposed to figure out a nice pat answer when everyone asks you the obvious, inevitable, and dreaded question: "So what do you do with a history major?" The answer where I live is: "Struggle to land the same job you might have landed coming straight out of high school and pay off those student loans!" But it really did feel nice to know I've sort of gotten through college, and I'm qualified to teach your children. Good Lord knows I have no desire to teach anyone's children anything, and no one in their right mind really wants me around their children, but I'm qualified, by God! And that's saying something. I think.

I guess I sort of have one last summer before I embark on my adult life, so-called. And while right now that seems dreary, particularly noting that I have no special plans for the summer thus far, it's nice to know that in four weeks, I will have completed my very last term paper. Barring that damn Biology class I have to do this July, I'll be ready to sing: "No more teachers, no more books! No more teacher's dirty looks!" That's always a nice thing, I think.