Monday, November 18, 2002

I'm selling my old books on Amazon.com. My auction name is TrewqazX if you care to look any of them up. If everything sells, which seems rather unlikely but I still have hope, I should make around $450. I was really quite happy about the fact until I realized that I probably spent well over $1000 on the things to start. Still, Amazon will give me more money than the bookstore, if Amazon sells the books. The bookstore, while comfortingly near and convenient and certain, rips you off enormously. Buy a book for $80 at the beginning of the quarter, end up never using the thing and returning it in brand new condition, you're lucky to see a $15 return rate. I love capitalism as much as the next red blooded American, but that's just plain fleecing. As such I finally broke down and took my business elsewhere. An added benefit of using Amazon though, is that I don't have to deal with the evil bookstore lady that insults everyone for no apparent reason and then laughs and laughs and laughs until she forces a coughing fit on herself and spits germs all over everyone. No matter how hard I try to stay out of that woman's line, it seems every time I get near the front she pops up and I'm stuck with her. Conspiracy, I say!

I have a new amusement at school. Someone's been leaving cryptic messages on one of the blackboards. The first one was "Fairest among ten thousand, all together lovely." I recognize that as being one of the Freemason slogans, I think. Today's was: "The bell tolls for me." I think it's referencing John Donne's No Man is an Island; "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee!" But the words aren't exact, so there's probably something else to it. After all, if you're going to bother leaving cryptic messages, it seems you'd likely bother to leave accurate cryptic messages. But maybe it's something to do with Hemingway's book; I wouldn't know because I despise Hemingway. So, in any case, I'm anticipating an attack in the near future by the freemasons. Damn freemasons. First they design Washington so that it'll look like a goat's head from an aerial view, and now this! ::shakes fist::