Sunday, March 16, 2003

This'll very likely be a long blog. Sorry. Blogger hasn't been cooperating with me in the last few days, so news has been building up. To save time, I won't recount the Jars of Clay and Caedmon's Call concert Angela, her sister and niece, Daysi, Hollie, Kaysie and I went to. Yeah, doesn't sound like my kind of thing, but actually it was a lot of fun. Angela wrote a decent blog about it. That's right, heavens be praised, she blogged! Here's a picture of us at the concert, by the by.

So, then on Saturday, Angela, Daysi and I went for a walk at the bike trail. The sun's been out lately, and since the phenomenon is still sort of new, I'm enjoying it and sort of want to be outside. Of course, we were outside for all of an hour, and my damn Irish skin has already started to burn. But that's alright, maybe it was the poisonous Mansfield Park sort of snow that we were lobbing at each other as we walked. Good times.

After that, we went to feed the fish up at Angela's pond. In another case of being so lazy that you actually end up causing yourself work, we didn't bring anything with us to break the ice. So we decided to work with what was already at the dock. I had a broken fishing pole and Angela had some sort of umm, metal catcher or grill sort of thing, I don't know what it was. But anyway, we killed an hour lobbing ice chunks across the pond. First we were trying to slide them into holes in the ice. After that, we were tossing them at ducks. But animal lovers take heart; I can't hit the broad side of an Angela when I throw.

So, today I spent driving my niece and two of her friends to Columbus. It was odd because my niece and her friends are deaf. I know some sign language, but that's just functionality sort of stuff. It's different when you're stuck in a car with three kids who really communicate that way all of the time. I'm used to being in the majority when I do things. I'm the right race, I speak the right language, I fit into society pretty well. But today I was the minority. It's hard to be the kid left out. I hope I remember that. I always ask myself, whenever I'm feeling racist or resentful or something, what it would be like to say, get on an airplane full of black people. I mean, say I was the only white kid there. I've never been in that situation in my life. And I know, political correctness be damned, I'd feel damn awkward and out of place. And yet, I see black people do that sort of thing all of the time and they keep such a good temper about it. That thought is usually enough to make me a little more empathetic. From now on, I'll just remember today.

Now, that's not to say it was terrible, because it wasn't. It was just different. They giggled at my self-consciousness; I think it pleased them to see me squirm. They're used to being the ones squirming, so I kept a good humor about the thing. It hit me a few times as I drove, that as I messed with the radio, I was the only one hearing the music. I can't imagine my life without music in it. Silence terrifies most people; and those kids live always in silence. They're so good at sitting still, and I think I can see why. They're used to being left out; out of conversations, of friendships, of society. And yet they're far from miserable, pitiable things. They were laughing, and playing, and they were happy.

Apparently, they think the Three Stooges are hilarious. I have a new appreciation for that kind of humor after spending time with them today. And when we walked past a handicapped sign, the one girl signed to the other “look, it’s you!” And the other crossed her eyes, curled her arm up and did an impression of a retarded kid. Not politically correct, but I was glad they’re not oversensitive types. They don’t strike me as feeling sorry for themselves; there’s a difference between them and handicapped folks, and they’re certainly aware of it, even if you’re not.

I had fun, so I bought them ice cream. It was a good weekend on the whole. Lots of things to do, and new experiences and such. Sort of sucks that I have to start studying for finals. Still, I feel sort of ready for it. Being busy all of the time has an odd way of preparing you for being busy all of the time.