Thursday, December 25, 2003

Good yield for Christmas this year.

I got a tuner for my guitar, a removable floppy drive, a Robinella and the CCStringband cd, a monopoly game, lots of candy, and some cd cases. I wish I would've gotten new shoes though. I would classify myself as being in dire need of those. I also got the obligatory annual Christmas gifts: FarSide calendar, pens (as typical, the only kind I don't much like - my family enjoys repeating the old bad jokes) and sour balls.

I also got a couple of books. I got Dostoevsky's The Idiot, Thomas Merton's The Seven Storey Mountain, and a replacement copy of J.D. Salinger's Nine Stories, which was only necessary since I traded my copy to my friend Lily that I met in Europe this summer, since all she had was Jack Kerouc's mediocre On the Road. She thought that maybe, being an Aussie, she didn't get it. But as an American, I can say that I don't much get it either. Maybe it's a generational problem.

Anyway, I liked the stuff I gave more than the stuff I got. I gave my brother Sennheiser wireless headphones. My mom got mostly low carb, diabetic candy stuff. I gave my dad a compass for his truck and a MagLite. I got my sister-in-law Denise this caller ID globe thing, which blows up the number calling so you can see it from across the room. I sent my brother Tony money, which, given his circumstance, was all I could give him. I gave my sister Donna slimline cd cases. My sister Denise got some pots she wanted. I felt pretty unoriginal buying them.

And my friends got stuff too, of course.

Meh, I don't think I escape the family party any longer, so I'd better go.