Monday, December 15, 2003

This morning when I woke up, I noticed that my dogs were outside. It's cold and snowy here just now, so I went to let them in.

I saw what I took to be Isaac and Tess down by the road. Tess looked as if she were nuzzling Izzy, which I thought was strange. But when I called, Tess reluctantly came slinking across the yard. But Izzy didn't.

Then, much to my surprise, I felt Izzy brush against my leg, trying to get out the door.

I looked at what I had thought to be Izzy again. And it was no dog. The possibility that it could be anything other than a dog hadn't crossed my mind; after all, my dogs attack anything that isn't a dog that stumbles into my yard, and even dogs they harass. Quickly, I reevaluated, what could it be? Fox? No, too dark. Bobcat? Well, maybe, but those things are so rare around here.

And then my eyes focused. It was a raccoon. A giant raccoon. The biggest racoon that I'd ever seen. Larger than Izzy even, by quite a stretch.

No wonder Tess had been sucking up. That thing could've torn her pretty ears right from her head.