Monday, August 29, 2005

Parents are not Friends.

Wedding was actually quite fun. Will post pics of my awesome wedding hair later today, when I have more reliable internet access.

Anyway, today I rediscovered why conversations with parents are not the same as conversations with friends. Amongst my peer group - and I think most young, twenty-somethings - much of our conversations revolve around how totally freakin' broke we are. Sometimes we share woes; other times we engage in trying to one-up each other.

Ex:

Twenty-Something Guy: Yeah, I'm so broke I'm buying the Oatie-O's and Frostie Flakes.
Twenty-Something Girl: OMG, I made that switch a year ago. You know, if you mix beef and chicken Ramen, it's almost like it's own flavor.
Twenty-Something Guy: I'm so broke I'm buying the individual Ramens. I can't even afford the value pack.
Twenty-Something Girl: Ouch, yeah, that's going home to mamma's to raid the 'fridge time!

This style of conversation should not be attempted with ones parents.

Ex:

Dad: Expect gas to run you like $3.00 a gallon today.
Me: Awesome. Geez, I'm hungry, we seriously need to hit the grocery store soon.
Mom: Oh, just stop by McDonald's today. That's cheap.
Me: No way, I'm not wasting a cent right now. Not with gas being so expensive; and I spent a ton on the wedding and stuff. Hey, sweet Doritos!
Mom: Well, car insurance is coming up, so you'd better be ready.
Me: Car insurance? Whatever! I put that money in my tank last week!
Mom: YOU'D BETTER HAVE THE MONEY! YOU'D BETTER NOT SCREW ME OVER!
Me: I'm joking! I have the money, I was just messing. You know I budget for that.
Mom: YOU WASTE MONEY! YOU'RE RUINING YOUR LIFE! YOUR CREDIT CARD BILL IS IN THE THOUSANDS AND YOU'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO CATCH UP TO YOUR STUDENT LOANS! YOU'LL BE BANKRUPT AND EVERYONE WILL HATE YOU!
Me: OMG, I'm not even getting student loans right now, and the only thing on my credit card are my glasses and I'm going to put my tires on there, too, it's not a big deal. That's not even a thousand dollars, much less thousands.
Mom: I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'D SCREW YOUR PARENTS OVER AND RUIN YOUR FUTURE FOR SOME WEDDING!
Me: Whatever, I told you I have the money. Just relax. It was a joke.
Mom: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, yeah, conversations with ones parents are not the same as conversations with ones peer group.