Thursday, July 06, 2006

Contextual Understanding.

There are hundreds of perfectly legitimate reasons that I don't blog very much anymore. I don't have internet access at home, for one. For another, it seems that my entire extended family drops by for visits from time to time, and gets irritable about what they see. And, of course, there's the fact that, by profession and vocation, I seem to have a lot of access to personal information and it's hardly right for me to go blogging about my day when so much of it is really someone else's day.

I miss blogging sometimes. More often, I miss reading old blogs. Reading my own archives helps me answer the old question: Would you like yourself if you happened to run into yourself on the street? The answer is yes, and no, depending on which era of me I happened to meet on the street, and which me happened to do the meeting.

Lately I've been missing my undergrad years. At the time, I hardly imagined they would be some of the happier days of my life. But I think that they might have been. Life was very open then. And I was willing to try new things out. I was convinced that I had something to contribute and that someone was there to be contributed to.

I am not loving grad school. In a few weeks, I'm going to attend this seminar for Social Workers that may help me make some decisions about my future. Social Workers do not seem to be very happy people. I am tired of living life as an unhappy person. I've been refusing to live that way for a while now and it seems poor sense to turn back on it now.

I'm seriously considering taking a trip at the end of this summer. To where, I'm not yet certain. Far away, I hope. Somewhere that forces me entirely out of my own context.