Monday, September 29, 2003

I had a good weekend for the most part. I actually had fun at my cousin's baby shower Sunday. For one thing, we didn't play any stupid games. I had my picture taken a lot; not so good. My only real point of pride on that matter is that I literally rolled out of bed as we were walking out the door to get to the shower, so if I normally look like hell, I sure as hell looked like hell in those pictures. It makes me happy to note that my children will never have to wonder what happened to mommy's good looks.

Last night sucked, by contrast. I had my first paper in Roman Republic, and I didn't understand how to do it. So I stressed about it for an hour or so. I ended up turning in something lousy, but I figure it's okay since it's only worth 2.5% of the final grade. Considering that turning a paper in usually gets you a solid C anyway, I can't take too bad a hit on it.

Today has gone quickly and well. I've eaten peanut butter and sour candy all day. I feel quite properly lower class. If there were kool aid in my belly and a car up on blocks in my lawn, I'd be sure I'd gone back home to Kentucky.

Speaking of which, my cousin Bruce Hopkins recently wrote a book about our Appalachian ancestors. It's called Spirits in the Field: An Appalachian Family History. From reading an early chapter, and the author's notes, I'm not sure the writing is of the highest quality. It seems strained and subject to the usual problem that so many of my relatives face; a damnedable urge to prove that they're not stupid hillbillies. Hence, I suspect, our affinity for superfluity in locution. But Appalachian history, as seen through the eyes of actual Appalachians, is an interesting topic, and one generally ignored by American historians. And, maybe I've only seen the worst bits so far. Though I've never met him, I hear Bruce is a terribly nice guy, so maybe I've been harsh in rushing to judgment. I ordered the book, so when it comes, I'll probably update all you disinterested souls on how it turns out.