Sunday, September 14, 2003

It just dawned on me that this is fall. All of the obvious signs were here before. It’s September after all and I’m getting ready to go back to school; football’s started up and the weather has finally started cooling down. Everything has been looking very fall for a few weeks now, but I hadn’t noticed it.

I like fall. I always have. Even though it means the pain of having to go back to school, fall has always been my favorite part of the year. It’s not too hot, and it’s not cold enough that I have to scrape ice from my car. Nature starts turning brown and orange, which, despite my family’s obsession with the Browns, makes me curiously happy. Autumn makes me think of some of my happiest times in childhood, when the frantic freedom of summer began slowly winding down to the cool hibernation of winter. Spring smarts like a bee’s sting, but autumn is like a lullaby.