Sunday, December 26, 2004

Goodbye Uncle Tom.

We just got a phone call from my cousin.

My Uncle Tommy had a heart attack today and died.

This hurts. I wasn't terribly close to him.

But my poor dad. That's his big brother. He looked up to him. He loves him. He spent his childhood fighting with Tom and trying to be with Tom and trying to be just like Tom. And now Tom's gone.

My dad's pacing around the house trying to be a man and not cry. He keeps saying that people should be sick first. You should have time to prepare.

At my grandfather's funeral, I heard a phrase from the Book of Common Prayer: "In the midst of life we are in death."

And we are. It can happen in an instant. No warning.

"In the midst of life we are in death;
from whom can we seek help?
From you alone, O Lord,
who by our sins are justly angered.

Holy God, Holy and Mighty,
Holy and merciful Savior,
deliver us not into the bitterness of eternal death."