Sunday, March 06, 2005

Music

Yesterday and today I’ve done almost nothing but sit and vegetate to music. When I was a teenager, I used to do this a lot. Sometimes I think the sole secular driving force behind my survival of adolescence was my cd collection. Since I’ve been older, and happier, I’ve spent a lot less time listening to music.

I drive a lot, so that means that I’m still probably hearing more music than most people do. But sometimes I even get tired of listening to music in the car now. The older I get, the more comfortable I am driving around with nothing playing but the thoughts in my head.

These past two days though have been nothing but music. Actually, I spent Thursday at Jasmin’s (read: hiding from the world since everyone who lives there was at work/school, and therefore I didn't have to talk to anyone) downloading music too. I’ve found some good new stuff, and I’ve revisited a lot of really great old stuff that never became part of my classics file just because I wasn’t as into music when I first heard it.

So, anyway, if anyone’s been hurting for quality music to listen to lately, here are twenty songs (in no discernable order) that I wish all my friends loved too:

Don’t Wait Too Long – Madeleine Peyroux
Come to Jesus – Mindy Smith
Run – Snow Patrol
Ordinary People – John Legend
Collide – Howie Day

Annabelle – Gillian Welch
Devil Had a Hold of Me – Gillian Welch
Rock of Ages – Gillian Welch
Send Down an Angel – Allison Moorer
On a Clear Blue Morning – Allison Moorer

Trust – Sixpence None the Richer
No More Words – Slick Shoes
Nothing But the Blood of Jesus – Chris Rice
Angel Doves – Mindy Smith
Jesus on the Mainline – Mississippi Fred McDowell

Honey and the Moon – Joseph Arthur
Nobody’s Fault But Mine – Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Gravity – A Perfect Circle
Motherless Children Have a Hard Time – Blind Willie Johnson
Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground – Blind Willie Johnson