Thursday, May 26, 2005

Jessica's Car Accident.

My problem with blogging is that I don't much like doing it when things are actually going on. I don't like writing until I've had proper time to overanalyze my situation. Then, by the time I actually feel I have something to say, I don't feel like writing about the exciting stuff anymore because it's in the past, and why dwell on the negative?

So all my posts are dry and boring, even though my life is anything but. At least, it's anything but sometimes. My dad told me once that there are television stations where the shows are things like watching the laundry spin, or watching somebody's private fish tank. Sometimes my life is so eventful that I know if I were the star of the Truman Show, or its equivalent, my ratings would fall embarassingly below the spinning laundry network. Because at least on that show, there's movement and something's being accomplished.

Anyway, I'm beginning to think that my family should shun the industrial revolution and abandon our cars. Since March, we've had three extremely serious car accidents, which is more than any family really deserves. My cousin Jessica is in critical condition at Toledo St. Vincent right now and it's still impossible to say whether or not she's going to survive. She pulled out in front of a school bus on Tuesday and was hit. She suffered a torn aorta, a torn kidney, liver damage and a broken pelvic bone, along with a host of more minor injuries. So far they haven't been able to do surgery to fix her torn aorta because of swelling around her heart. They don't know what's causing the swelling around her heart, but they put a tube through her back yesterday to drain it, in hopes of doing surgery sometime today.

A torn aorta can be fatal. From what I understand, it's usually fatal in something like 85% of cases. The good news for Jessica is that her other injuries were severe enough that doctors detected the tear quickly, and she's had emergency care from the beginning. She's spent most of her time in a drug induced coma, ostensibly to immobilize her. She's young, otherwise healthy, and has a strong will to live. Her chances of survival are better than the average for someone in her condition. She's a sweet girl and I'm praying for the very best outcome for her. A lot of people depend on Jessica, and she's always been one of my favorite cousins, so I hope that she'll be able to pull through.

I'm hoping to get to go see her tonight. Toledo is 2 1/2 hours away from here, I think, so it will be a long night if I do get to go. I don't like hospitals very much; I've spent too much time in them. My family is funny about things, and I don't know if I should go or not. I would like to see Jessica, but I'm worried about stressing out my uncle, who's ueber shy about things and probably doesn't want the whole extended family in the hospital waiting room.

On the other hand, this might be my last chance.