Sunday, January 18, 2004

So it looks like I'm heading to Ireland for Spring Break. I'm gloriously excited. This time, by hook or by crook, I'm going to see Sligo. Ach, I'm happy! I'm utterly broke with a smile on my face. Life is good.

My new attitude on life is so bad for my bourgeois standing. I don't give a damn about money. I just have to get enough of it to get by; and I will, somehow. Always I will. And I won't be a slave for it either. Life isn't all about job titles and rewards. I don't care if I only pull a B in Astronomy. What if I didn't make the Dean's List? The sky wouldn't fall in.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not settling for less than I could have. I'm not taking a little temporary pleasure over a lot of lasting satisfaction. I just realize that on the last day, I'm going to be judged for the content of my character: my kindness, my generosity, my joy, or lack thereof; and I won't be judged on my report card, or how many figures I rake in.

Virtue is more than asceticism. And it's more than flitting after every momentary pleasure I come across, too. I'm happy. I really am. Despite all of my whingings and momentary tinges of despair, and all my doubt filled dark nights of the soul; it's all going to be okay.