Thursday, August 19, 2004

Jake, Etc.

This week has been tiring, above all else. Or in any case, I've been tired. I kicked off Monday with an exam, and that's always a pretty lousy start to a week. But I ended up getting an A on it, which is nice.

Tuesday my niece told me that she was going to have to get rid of her hamster, Jake, so I took him home with me. He had a hamster car already, but I bought him a ball today, which I think he enjoys more. The car is cuter, of course, but the ball is more mobile. And I think Jake's concerns are more centered on mobility than cuteness. But hell, I've never known anything about men. After all, poofy boy keeps a hairbrush in his truck.

As I speak, Jake's rolling around the floor in his hamster ball. He especially seems to like sprinting down the hallway, picking up as much speed as possible until he finally and inevitably, and might I add drunkenly, smashes into my mom's bedroom door, at the end. He rolls back, looks stunned, and then takes off again, top speed. Good boy!

I like Jake a lot. I haven't had an intentional rodent around the house since my last guinea pig died when I was like eight. I had two guinea pigs, and two rabbits, once upon a time; Benny and Minnie Guinea, and Eddie and Peter Rabbit, respectively. I was one of those 4-H dorks for about a year. I was supposed to be raising rabbits for the fair, but I never got around to really doing the work. I just had a crush on some boy who wanted me to join, or something silly like that. I was a surprisingly average eight year old in some respects.

Anyway, last Friday I got sick. Like vomity sick. And I was running to puke at one point, and I stubbed my little toe like the devil. Ended up, I'm pretty sure that I broke it. At the time though, I was more concerned with getting somewhere safe to throw up, so I didn't even realize the toe thing until the next morning. It hurts a surprising amount for such a little digit. But
mostly only when I've got a shoe on; barefoot isn't so bad at all.

Yeah, well, that's my life right now. I went to a party last night, and tonight I went out with Ferg-o to BW's. In a little over a week, I'm going to be a college graduate. That's scary/exciting/kind of boring all at the same time. Speaking of which, anybody want to have an impromptu sort of graduation party for me? Just go out and get drunk, or stay in and get drunk, or you know...um...just go out/stay in and not get drunk, or something? I know everybody's busy, but it seems like I ought to do....something.

Well, I have to get up early tomorrow for school, and InuYasha's on. Plus, I have to try to convince Jake that going back into his cage for the evening is a good idea. I think it'll be a hard sell.