Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I've been thinking lately about how many of life's limitations are self-imposed. It's easier to simply write something off as impossible than it is to really work to make it so. But who wants to live a life of limitations? It's safer, sure, but not nearly so rewarding. And I think there has to be more to living than the fear of dying.

I've been reevaluating the things that are important to me. What I really want out of this life is just to matter to the people who matter to me; and, I suppose, to make that circle of people grow larger rather than smaller over time.

Insofar as that is true, I can't afford lethargy in the essentials. That's my focus for the time being. My other huge worries - making something of myself, not squandering my potential, what in the hell am I going to be, etc. - are going to have to take a back seat for a while.