Wednesday, April 02, 2003

I'm extremely frustrated today. I was invited to participate in a forum on the War on Iraq at school, and I don't think I can do it. I really, really, really want to go, but I don't think it's possible. The forum is next Friday at 3:30. Friday at 3:15 I'm supposed to be picking Brittany up in Columbus. Columbus is an hour and a half away from here. Now, I could ask to pick Brittany up early, but it would have to be very early. I mean, for me to be able to drive the hour and a half back and get to school at a reasonable time, I would have to pick her up at like 1:15. I know it's not fair to ask Donna to let Britt miss half a day of school for my forum on the War on Iraq, but damnit, I want to go! It's also irksome that it's early in my driving career. I mean, had I been doing this since last year sometime, I'd have some respectability. But this is only like the third week. I need her to know that I'm not going to be pulling stuff like this all the time. I need to find a way to work this out. This sort of opportunity is just too rare and rich for me to miss.

Bible class was better today. We went over various versions of the 23rd Psalm to show the difficulty of translation. It was kind of fun. Then German was short. I really need to study my German badly. I keep forgetting really basic things like whether aus ausser bei mit, etc. denotes accusative or dative case. It's stuff I knew, but have slipped because I haven't studied them recently. I think I'm beginning to understand how my grandma, who spoke only Flemish until she was eighteen years old, has managed to forget how to speak the language, after years of speaking only English. I wonder if I spoke German to grandma, if she'd understand much of it. I'm not suggesting, of course, that Flemish and German are identical. But they have similarities, and I think, she must have picked up a little something during the Nazi occupation of Belgium. Speaking of which, perhaps it's best to forgo trying to speak German to her. She hates the Germans. She still cringes when she hears an ambulance going by. The sirens remind her of air raids.

My allergies are acting up. I slept really well last night though, for the first time in a while. I'm still tired anyway.