Saturday, March 12, 2005

Just Another Stupifying Saturday.

I took the puppy to the Humane Society in Wyandot County today. It was nearly an hour's drive away, but it was worth it to know that he won't be gassed to death. In my county, they euthanize dogs in the gas chamber, and I can't stand taking any animals there. In Wyandot, they of course can't promise not to have to eventually put the dog down if he's unadoptable, but they do it very rarely. And when they do have to put a dog down, they do it humanely. It kills me to think that that puppy will ever have to be put down, but it's much nicer to think that he won't suffer than to have to imagine that he will.

The new Ashton Kutcher/Bernie Mac movie Guess Who looks really dumb. I didn't love Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, but I guess I can see where it had its time and place. The black protagonist in the original probably had to be a little too perfect to protect against the racism of the day; the white protagonist in the remake has no excuse for being Ashton Kutcher.

Damn, I'm thirsty! I'm craving chocolate milk. I always crave chocolate milk when I'm missing my grandma and grandpa. My niece and I were talking the other night about how my grandma's house was sort of like the happiest place on Earth. Whatever your troubles elsewhere, they never seemed able to follow you to the farm. Maybe you got picked on at school, or your mom and dad didn't love you; it didn't matter at grandmas. When you were with her, you were perfectly loved and perfectly supported. You were also half-drunk on chocolate milk and fig newtons, and didn't care much anyway.

I didn't wake up today until noon, but I'm already looking forward to going to bed. I haven't been able to sleep much the past few days. I'm not exactly tired right now, but the idea of laying in pitch-black silence is definitely a pleasant one. As much as music calmed me last week, the quiet seems to be comforting me now.